Friday, January 14, 2011

Yoda Punch Card

Well, today is the Birthday of my one of my son's best friends.  His mother is a very dear friend of mine and also a fellow paper crafter.  When I asked him if he had any ideas that he would like for a gift and a card he reminded me that Ryan loved Star Wars.  My son, Levi, loves punch art and asked me if I would be able to do a Star Wars punch art card.  After all of the time I had spent on my Noah's ark one I did not know if I was up to the challenge.  So days pass and he reminds me that the party is coming up really fast and asks if I had gotten around to the Yoda card.  So now it is not just Star Wars but a Yoda card.  So I did a google search and found this picture of Yoda to work from.



So I sat down and got to work.  All of my punches are either hanging on my wall (older version) or sitting on my desk (new version). So it was just a look around to see what would go together.  I tried to look at the image to see what would be the hardest to do and I found that to me it would be the eyes...so that is where I started.  I figured if I could not get the eyes to look right I might as well scratch it and start something else.  I looked at my punches and thought the end leaf on the Two Step Bird Punch would be just the right size for the eyes. So I punched the Whisper White and the Pear Pizazz (the color I thought would make the best Yoda) with the end of the leaf.  The eyeball parts are punched with the small and large of the Crop-a-dile (that thing is more handy then I ever thought it to be :) )  I just used my marker to put a black circle in the center of the Chocolate Chip.  The ears are from the same punch.  I just used the wing.  I did have to trim the Chocolate Chip just a smidge to get it to layer the way I wanted it to.  I used the same area of the leaf again for Yoda's button nose.  His fine white hair is the stuffing out of an old pillow I was throwing away.  One of my biggest delimas was how to get the light saber to glow.  My 8 year old daughter said "Why don't you just spray it with your shiny spray?"   Duh!  So I used the Vanilla Shimmer Smooch Spritz to give it some glow.


For my sentiment I wanted something fancy that went about the whole width of the card.  I cut my cardstock 11/4" wide and put it into the back of the Decorative Label Punch as shown above.  I did each end this way.  I trimmed the Pear pizazz just a smidge thinner so I could layer it.  I think that I once again sponged every angle I could get at.  I did have to use my tweezers to sponge and assemble the eyes but other than that it went together pretty easy.

 
I tried to make the background "Spacey" without being too cluttered.  So I sponged in a moon and added "stars" with the blotches from the French Foliage set. My son is very happy with how it turned out.  He cannot wait until the party next weekend!

May the Force be with You!

Card Details:
Stamps: Afterthoughts (Level 1 Hostess Set), French Foliage, Sanded Background
Paper: Sahara Sand, Pear Pizazz, Chocolate Chip, Whisper White, Crumb Cake, Basic Gray, Love Letter DSP
Ink: Pear Pizazz, Chocolate Chip, Sahara Sand
Accessories: 
Sentiment: Decorative Label Punch, Antique Brads, Spiral Border Punch, Mini Library Clips

Yoda's Head: Wide Oval Punch, Two Step Bird Punch, Pillow Stuffing, Markers for lines, Sponges for shadows
Yoda's BodyWide Oval Punch (3), Small Oval Punch (2), Hands: Boho Blossom Punch, 1/2" Circle Punch
Light Saber: Word Window Punch, Vanilla Shimmer Smooch Spritz, Modern Label Punch, Red Brad



Photobucket

9 comments:

  1. What a great card. And what a great mom for attempting it. I've never seen a Star Wars movie (can you believe that?) but looking at the photo, it looks to me like you really captured Yoda.

    ReplyDelete
  2. totally cool, this will be on my punch inspiration blog post tomorrow. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it!!! My hubs is such a fan of Star Wars and the whole sci fi genre. He imitates (voice only) Yoda and Darth Vader when he leaves a voice mail message on our daughters phone. It hilarious.
    I guess I need to work on a Darth card....LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool. Love the punch art card. :)
    I'm following you from Stampin' Connection. I'm #302.
    http://createNstamp.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is cute and alive, you've made it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great card. Wonderful job on the paper piecing with the punches. You are very creative. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now this is incredible! So how'd the party go?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job! I'm following from SC. Davina
    teadrinkingstamper.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I will definitely be making one of these for my 21-year-old! He will love it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping and taking time to leave a comment!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails